Sidecar's Dislocated Dreams

Outdoor Adventures, Comfort food, Bourbon, Country Music and Urban Rants.

Saturday, January 07, 2006

Wintering Eagles



We, along with the fancy new camera, set out today on the lookout for wintering bald eagles. An article in the latest issue of Backpacker magazine enlightened me to the fact that New York's Harriman State Park is home to an increasing number of bald eagles. I'm no expert on these birds, but the one pictured above is the only large bird we saw today and it is either a young bald or an adult golden. Then again for all I know it's a turkey vulture! On the other hand while in Alaska last September, I spotted a bald one in Seward that was unmistakable.

2 Comments:

At 12:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe you've committed an amateur "birders" mistake, as the genus of this species is easily identified by its crown feathers. Based on my extensive knowledge on the subject, the bird in your photo is actually "Hawk" from Buck Rogers in the 25th Century!

 
At 8:27 PM, Blogger MCV said...

LOL! Excellent! Thank you head birder!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Visit No Depression