Sidecar's Dislocated Dreams

Outdoor Adventures, Comfort food, Bourbon, Country Music and Urban Rants.

Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Falling into the "Moon-Pies"


Welcome to Dislocated Dreams. As this is my first post, I suppose I'll just explain what I might be doing here. Basically this is a personal forum to express things that are important to me. Put simply: Outdoor Adventures - Food - Music. And perhaps an ocassional rant about some bothersome experiences I suffer in the semi-SUB-urban hole I have trapped myself in. You see, I grew up among the cows in the country and couldn't wait to be old enough to move into "The City." Well, I managed to get myself within fifteen miles of it and all I have learned is that, ah well, sigh. Now h. (my wife) and I try to get away whenever and wherever we can. Hiking, exploring, less people, less traffic. That's what this is all about. Dreaming about dislocating ourselves from the concrete and finding the natural surrondings, whether it is sandstone or precambrian gneiss. The photo in this post is a good start; that's me falling into the "moon-pies," a large area high up on Schnebly Hill Road in Sedona, Arizona. H. and I were playing on the beds of sandstone or petrified dunes or whatever it was. It was a beautiful day, May 3, 2003. She and I had just spent the morning meeting with our wedding planner over a breakfast at the Quality Inn (Denny's-esque) and followed that with a rather awkward first meeting with the former Jesuit priest who was to marry us the following day. It was like turbo preCana, fifteen minutes and a few questions and we were good to go. We spent the rest of the day climbing betweend the spires, hoodoos, or buttes of Cathedral Rock overlooking Red Rock Crossing where we to be married the following day. It was really magical.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Visit No Depression